Summer is here in Albuquerque, a time for sun, fun, and time with friends and family. However, summertime activities can often pose significant dangers. It’s important to exercise care and caution when going out to a barbecue or festival, going to the lake, riding your bicycle or motorcycle, or lighting up the grill or firepit. Parnall Law has some important safety tips for you to keep in mind to help prevent DUI injuries and other summertime accidents.
Rates of Driving Under the Influence During Summer Months
Unfortunately, the rate of alcohol-involved motor vehicle crashes tends to increase during the summer months of June, July, and August. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, those three months have the highest alcohol-involved fatal crashes across the country. In one recent year, June and July each had about 10 percent of all fatal DUI accidents, while in August, the rate went up to 10.5 percent. DUI accident rates continued to stay high through September and October that year, with each month experiencing around 9.6 percent of accidents.
The increased rates of drunk or drugged drivers during the summer months can largely be attributed to the fact that people are more likely to be on vacation, where individuals might be inclined to indulge in alcoholic beverages. The summer also has three holidays – Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor Day – where people get together for parties, barbecues, and festivals where alcohol may be commonplace. The rates of underage drinking and driving accidents also increase because teen drivers are out of school.
Common Types of Summer Injuries and How to Stay Safe
Examples of injury accidents that more commonly occur during the summer months include:
- Car accidents, as people take road trips and vacations
- Motorcycle accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Boating accidents
- Drunk driving accidents
- Swimming accidents
- Fires and explosions from campfire, bonfire, or grilling accidents
Tips to keep in mind to help keep yourself safe this summer include:
Swimming Safety Tips
- Never swim alone
- Do not leave children unattended near the water
- Ensure that your boat has sufficient life jackets or other personal flotation devices for each person on board
- Always wear life jackets when on a jet ski or other personal watercraft
- Never bring more passengers on a boat than it was designed to carry
Driving Safety Tips
- Always have a designated driver if you plan to indulge
- Always check your motorcycle or bicycle’s tires, brakes, and fluids before setting off
- Always wear a helmet when riding a bicycle or motorcycle
Heat Safety Tips
- Keep drinking fluids to stay hydrated, especially if you also plan to consume alcohol while outside
- Wear loose, lightly colored clothing and take frequent breaks under the shade or indoors when out during the midday hours
Grilling Safety Tips
- Always grill or light a fire outside
- Never leave a lit grill or fire pit unattended
Injured in an Accident? Parnall Law Is Here to Help
Hurt? Call Bert. Contact the Albuquerque injury lawyers at Parnall Law if you’ve been injured in a summertime accident due to someone else’s carelessness. You’ll get a free and confidential consultation with one of our experienced New Mexico personal injury attorneys when you call us or reach out to us online.