Many residents of Carlsbad and visitors to the area enjoy riding motorcycles on the roads in and around our community. However, growth in the Carlsbad area has led to increased traffic on many of our streets, roads, and highways. As a result, motorcyclists are at an ever-greater risk of being the victims of accidents, which can result in severe, catastrophic, and life-threatening injuries.
When you’ve been the victim of a motorcycle accident, you need dedicated legal representation to pursue the compensation and justice you need and deserve. Hurt? Call Bert.
Contact Parnall Law Firm today to set up a free case evaluation with a Carlsbad motorcycle accident lawyer to learn more about your rights and options.
Major Reasons for Motorcycle Accidents in Carlsbad
Most motorcycle accidents occur due to the negligence or recklessness of other motorists on the road.
Some of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents in Carlsbad include:
- Unsafe lane changes, when a driver fails to signal a lane change or to check their blind spot for a motorcyclist
- Left-turn accidents, when a driver fails to signal the turn or fails to yield to an oncoming motorcycle or fails to ensure that the intersection is clear
- Speeding, one of the leading factors in all types of motor vehicle accidents
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Lane splitting, or when a driver fails to give a motorcycle rider their legal right to the full lane of traffic
- Following too closely, as many drivers fail to realize that motorcycles can stop more quickly than other types of vehicles, leading to read-end accidents
- Inexperienced drivers, who may not know how to share the road with motorcycles or know what to do in an emergency
- Car doors that are opened in front of oncoming motorcycles
Of course, motorcycle accidents can have causes other than the negligence or recklessness of other motorists. For example, some motorcycle accidents occur due to a design or manufacturing defect in the motorcycle or in a part in the motorcycle. In addition, some single-vehicle accidents involving motorcycles occur due to poor road conditions, such as potholes or broken pavement, which can cause a rider to lose control.
Dangerous Highways in Carlsbad, NM
In recent years, the highways in and around the Permian Basin near Carlsbad, which has become one of the busiest oil fields in the country, have become incredibly dangerous, especially for motorcycles.
The steady stream of semi-trucks and other commercial vehicles on these roads increase the risks for motorists. In particular, some of the most dangerous highways around Carlsbad include US 285, and State Routes 31 and 128.
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Unprotected motorcycle riders face the risk of severe, life-threating injuries in motorcycle crashes.
Some of the most common motorcycle accident injuries riders suffer include:
- Head injuries and traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal injuries and paralysis
- Organ damage and internal bleeding
- Broken bones
- Soft-tissue injuries, especially torn ligaments, tendons, and muscles
- Road rash, or the cuts and abrasions caused when a rider is thrown from their motorcycle and hits the pavement
- Burns from being trapped against hot engine parts or being caught in a fire caused by the accident
Tips for Staying Safe on the Road in Carlsbad
Although a motorcycle rider cannot avoid all risk of an accident while on the road, a rider can take certain steps to reduce those risks and protect themselves from serious injury in the event of an accident. For example:
- Always wear a helmet with a face shield or with protective eyewear.
- Always wear full-length sleeves and pants of a durable material like leather, in addition to gloves and boots; you may also want to consider putting reflective tape on clothes or gear or wearing a high-visibility vest to make yourself more visible to other motorists.
- Always obey traffic laws.
- Consider taking motorcycle safety courses from time to time to learn and maintain good riding techniques.
- Ride defensively, including always having your headlights on, staying out of other motorists’ blind spots, and signaling well in advance of any lane change or turn.
- Never ride while fatigued or under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Keep your motorcycle well-maintained, and always check to make sure that it is in good working order before setting off for a ride.
Dangerous Intersections in Carlsbad
According to accident data compiled by City Data, some of the most dangerous intersections in and around Carlsbad include:
- West Church Street and North Elm Street
- North Mesa Street and Riverside Drive
- Boyd Drive and National Parks Highways
Each of these intersections has been the location of a deadly motor vehicle accident over the past several years.
How Can Parnall Law Firm, LLC Help after a Motorcycle Accident Injury in Carlsbad?
After you’ve been seriously hurt in a motorcycle accident, you need compensation to help you pay for things such as medical treatment for your injuries, to cover your lost wages as you miss time from work, and to compensate you for the pain and suffering you’ve endured. For more than 20 years, Parnall Law Firm has helped thousands of clients secure millions in much-needed financial recovery.
We can help you pursue your motorcycle accident claim by offering a free, no-obligation consultation to help you understand your rights and options and the process of claiming the financial compensation you need. We also commit to providing you with the quality work and legal representation you deserve. If you are not completely satisfied with our work within the first 30 days of hiring our firm, you can take your case file with no attorney fees due and no questions asked.
When you hire Parnall Law for your motorcycle accident case, we hit the ground running by thoroughly investigating your accident to collect the evidence necessary to show how your accident occurred and who was at fault. We pursue maximum compensation for the harm you have suffered by holding the responsible parties and the insurance companies accountable to pay you the compensation you deserve. We also take great care to make sure you are always informed of each development in your case and that all your questions about what steps to take are answered.
Contact Our Carlsbad Motorcycle Accident Attorneys for Help with Your Injuries
If you or a loved one have been injured in a motorcycle accident in Carlsbad through no fault of your own, Parnall Law can help you seek the financial compensation you need and deserve from those at fault for your accident. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation to discuss your case with an experienced Carlsbad motorcycle accident attorney and to learn more about your legal rights and options for pursuing your claim.