Types of Truck Accidents in Hobbs
When a commercial truck collides with a passenger vehicle, people in the smaller vehicle are the most likely to suffer severe or possibly fatal injuries. There are a number of reasons why these devastating accidents occur.
The Hobbs truck accident lawyers of Parnall Law Firm want to make sure that you are aware of these common causes of truck accidents so that you can keep yourself and your family safe on the road.
Types of Truck Accidents in Hobbs, NM
Some common types of truck accidents include:
- Jackknife Accidents – These accidents occur when the trailer of a truck swings toward the tractor. Often, when a truck driver brakes too hard or swerves suddenly, the trailer may swing forward and strike or crush other vehicles.
- Tire Blowouts – When a truck’s tire blows out, the entire vehicle could veer across lanes of traffic, colliding with vehicles in its path.
- Rollovers – If a driver loses control of the truck, the tractor-trailer may roll onto its side. If another vehicle is close to the truck, it could be crushed by the massive weight.
- Blind Spots – Trucks have several large blind spots, also referred to as “no-zones.” Drivers should be aware of these blind spots, always signal lane changes, and be aware that vehicles might be in or near them to avoid accidents.
- Wide Turns – To complete a turn, a truck driver will often steer left when beginning to make a right turn. To safely complete a wide turn, drivers must remain aware of surrounding traffic, cyclists, and pedestrians.
- Rear-End Collisions – Trucks require a much longer distance to come to a stop than passenger cars. When truck drivers need stop suddenly, the speed they’re traveling or the distance between their vehicle and the vehicle in front of them might not give them enough time to do so. This could lead to a devastating collision.
- Underride Accidents – These terrifying accidents occur when a passenger vehicle collides with a truck and goes underneath the trailer. The top of the passenger vehicle is often sheared off, which is often deadly for the driver and any passengers inside.
What Causes Truck Accidents in Hobbs?
Since 18-wheelers can weigh up to 20 times more than a normal passenger car, victims involved in an accident often sustain life-changing injuries.
The following road conditions and dangerous behaviors increase the likelihood of truck accidents:
- Drowsy driving
- Drunk or drugged driving
- Aggressive or reckless driving
- Distracted driving
- Failure to signal
- Failure to observe no-zones
- Inclement weather
- Potholes and other road defects
What Should I Do After a Truck Accident in Hobbs?
If you are injured in a truck accident, your health and safety should come first. Seek treatment from a medical professional as soon as possible. If you don’t require emergency medical treatment, stay at the scene and collect information and visit your doctor as soon as possible afterward.
While on the scene, take pictures of the vehicles, damage, your injuries, and any other relevant shots that might show what happened. This evidence could later support your injury claim if you choose to take legal action.
As soon as you can, reach out to an experienced Hobbs personal injury attorney.
How Can Truck Accident Attorneys in Hobbs, NM at Parnall Law Help Me?
The Hobbs truck accident attorneys of Parnall Law understand how devastating a truck accident can be on you and your family. If you’ve been hurt, we can help. Don’t wait until it is too late to seek justice and compensation. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation.