Intersection Car Accidents
Intersections are also referred to as “conflict points” by the engineers who design them. Intersections are vital for controlling the flow of traffic where two or more streets meet and cross each other. They are designed with the intention that all motorists and pedestrians will be aware of each other, visible, and predictable in their movements to reduce the likelihood of a collision.
Unfortunately, accidents still occur with alarming frequency, even at well-designed intersections. In fact, according to the Federal Highway Administration, approximately one-quarter of all traffic fatalities and one-half of all traffic injuries occur at intersections.
If you were injured in an accident at an intersection or any other type of car accident in Albuquerque, you could be eligible to seek compensation from the at-fault party. If this has happened to you, turn to Parnall Law, the team that so many people have trusted to help them seek the fair compensation they’re owed.
How Parnall Law Firm Can Assist with Cases Involving Car Accidents at Busy Intersections?
If you were hurt in an intersection crash in Albuquerque, the skilled car accident lawyers at Parnall Law could help you by:
- Evaluating the details of your situation in a free case review and explaining the options you have for pursuing compensation
- Representing you on a contingency fee basis, which means you pay us nothing unless we win money for you first
- Conducting an independent and thorough investigation of the crash to identify useful evidence and determine who was at fault
- Working with expert witnesses such as accident reconstruction specialists who can provide valuable professional testimony
- Communicating with the insurance company and other lawyers on your behalf
- Managing important documents, deadlines, and other administrative aspects of your claim while you focus on your health
- Negotiating assertively to maximize your compensation
- Taking your case to court, if the other side refuses to make a reasonable settlement offer
Process of a Car Accident Claim
No one expects to be injured in an accident, but there’s no reason for you to be unprepared when it comes to the process of filing a car accident claim. If you were injured in a car crash in Albuquerque, the first thing to do is to seek prompt medical attention for your injuries to establish a record of your condition and get the treatment you need to heal. It’s critical to your recovery to carefully follow your doctor’s treatment recommendations to show you’re taking your recovery seriously.
When you were at the scene of the accident, you likely notified police and an officer responded to the accident. Be sure that you get a copy of the report the officer prepared. You will need it when you file a claim with the insurance company.
Your lawyer may conduct an investigation to determine all potentially at-fault parties and sources of compensation. Your car accident lawyer can gather evidence and interview witnesses to support your claim. Evidence that can help establish your claim and prove your damages includes:
- Photos of the accident scene
- Traffic camera footage or surveillance footage that captured the accident
- Your medical records and bills
- Employment records
- Property damage records
- Pain journal entries in which you detail the pain and adverse effects of your injuries
Your lawyer will use this evidence to negotiate with the insurance company for fair compensation on your behalf.
Common Causes of Intersection Accidents
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that up to 46 percent of intersection accidents occur because a driver accidentally disobeys a traffic signal. Other notable reasons for
busy intersection accidents in Albuquerque include:
- Distracted drivers who are texting, making phone calls, or engaged in other distracting activities
- Impaired drivers who are impaired by drugs or alcohol and not thinking clearly
- Inexperienced drivers who do not properly gauge the distance between them and other vehicles
- Speeding when drivers try to beat the light
- Failing to yield the right of way to others in the intersection, including bicyclists and pedestrians
- Lack of proper signage caused by missing, malfunctioning, or obscured traffic control devices
- Poor road infrastructure, such as intersections placed near blind curves or hills
Common Injuries Involved in Intersection Accidents
Common intersection crash injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Face, neck, and jaw injuries
- Back and spine injuries
- Partial or total paralysis
- Broken and dislocated bones
- Joint injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
- Burns, cuts, and scarring
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
Determining Liability in an Intersection Crash
In most cases, whoever violates traffic laws is at fault in an intersection crash and therefore financially liable for any resulting damage or injuries. A thorough investigation is critical to determine who is liable for the accident. Besides negligent drivers, other potentially liable parties may include:
- Employers – If a commercial driver or a driver who is traveling for work-related purposes causes the crash, their employer may be held responsible through the principle of vicarious liability.
- Government agencies – If poor road infrastructure or maintenance contributes to an intersection crash, the government agency responsible for overseeing the area could bear liability.
- Manufacturers – If there is a defective vehicle or auto part that contributes to the accident, the manufacturer may share in liability.
Potential Financial Compensation in an Accident at an Intersection
The amount of financial compensation you could recover after an intersection accident depends on the particular details surrounding your claim and the damages you sustained.
The types of compensation that could be available in a New Mexico intersection accident claim include money for:
- Past and future medical bills for accident-related injuries
- Out-of-pocket costs for incidental expenses
- Repair or replacement expenses for vehicle damage
- Lost wages or losses in your future earning potential
- Pain, suffering, and loss in your overall quality of life
Contact Us Today
Hurt? Call Bert. Bert Parnall has dedicated his practice to serving injured accident victims throughout Albuquerque and Central New Mexico for decades. Parnall Law is committed to excellence and offers a 100 percent client satisfaction guarantee.
To find out more about the Parnall Law Difference, contact us today to get started with your free, confidential case review.