According to the New Mexico Department of Transportation, speeding was the top contributing factor in 3,659 motor vehicle crashes in New Mexico in a recent year. Of those accidents, 1,229 resulted in injuries, while another 29 resulted in at least one fatality.
Additionally, speeding was listed as one of the contributing factors In 5,163 accidents across the state for the same year.
If you were hurt in a motor vehicle accident caused by a speeding driver, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries.
Since 1997, Parnall Law Firm, LLC, has fought on behalf of injured victims of speeding car accidents to help them recover fair and full compensation for their injuries and losses. Our firm works hard to provide each client with the quality legal representation and personalized attention they and their case deserve.
We stand by our work and offer every client a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you’re not satisfied with our services in the first 30 days after you’ve retained us, you can take your case file with you – no fees due and no questions asked.
Major Causes of Speeding Car Accidents in Albuquerque
Speeding can come in one of two different forms: excessive speeding and speed inappropriate for road conditions. Excessive speeding is exceeding the posted speed limit. Driving too fast for conditions is
driving within the speed limit but at a speed inappropriate for road conditions, such as slick roads, heavy traffic, or nighttime. According to the New Mexico Department of Transportation, among the crashes where speeding was a top contributing factor for the year of the report, 2,343 crashes resulted from excessive speed, while 1,316 resulted from driving too fast for conditions.
The most frequent reasons drivers choose to speed include:
- Running late or having a busy schedule
- Habit or learning to drive in this manner
- Heavy traffic, which can cause drivers to become frustrated and engage in aggressive driving behaviors like speeding
- Disregard for the law or choosing to speed simply because a driver feels like it
What Are the Consequences of Speeding?
Speeding is one of the most common causes of car accidents in Albuquerque. It is also more likely to result in severe injuries and fatalities because speeding affects every aspect of an accident. When a driver speeds, they are more likely to lose control of their vehicle. They will have less time to come to a complete stop to avoid a collision. They will most likely impact another vehicle at a greater speed and force, which can result in more severe injuries and deaths. Seat belts, airbags, and other safety features are also less effective at greater speeds.
At What Speed Is a Car Accident Fatal?
The speed required for a motor vehicle accident to become fatal can vary depending on multiple factors, such as:
- The speed of each vehicle
- Each vehicle’s size
- The direction of impact
- The availability and use of passenger safety systems
- The overall health and fitness of a vehicle occupant.
With advances in vehicle engineering and technology, vehicle occupants can now walk away from accidents that occur at speeds that only a few decades ago would have likely been fatal. But no matter how safe car manufacturers can make their vehicles, accidents that occur at higher speeds pose a greater risk of fatality. For example, an Insurance Institute for Highway Safety report found that every five mph increase in the maximum speed limit was linked to an 8.5 percent increase in fatalities in highway accidents.
What to Do After a Speeding Accident
We recommend taking the following steps after a speeding accident:
- Schedule a physical exam with your doctor to identify all the injuries you sustained in the crash. Follow your doctor’s orders and attend all follow-up appointments. Failing to do so could give the other side reason to argue that your injuries aren’t as serious as they are.
- Collect any documentation related to the accident that could be used to show the extent of your injuries and losses. This might include medical records, medical receipts, income pay stubs, tax documents, vehicle repair estimates, and proof of out-of-pocket expenses.
- Refrain from posting any updates on social media. Your updates could be taken out of context and used to undermine your case.
- Keep a pain journal in which you track your daily levels of physical pain and emotional distress. This can provide valuable evidence in your case.
- Consult with an Albuquerque car accident attorney to discuss your rights and options for holding the speeding driver liable for your expenses and losses from the accident.
Damages You May Be Able to Recover in a Speeding Accident
Following a speeding accident, you may be entitled to recover financial compensation from the speeding driver, including for:
- Costs of medical treatment and rehabilitation
- Long-term care expenses
- Lost income and earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of quality of life
- Damaged property
How Can Parnall Law Firm Help After a Speeding Injury?
The legal team at Parnall Law Firm, LLC can help with your claim by:
- Explaining your legal rights and options in plain, easy-to-understand terms so that you are empowered to make decisions in your case
- Investigating the accident to recover evidence that shows how the accident occurred and that identifies the at-fault parties
- Ensuring responsive communication so that you can talk with the attorney handling your case and get prompt, regular updates on the status of your claim
- Providing you with straightforward, honest assessments about your case and the potential outcomes
- Helping you get the medical care you need for your injuries
- Advocating on your behalf through every phase of the claims process
- Maintaining a “bulldog-like” approach to pursuing fair and full compensation through negotiation and/or litigation
We’ll be by your side through every step of the case. As one of our car accident clients recently wrote about our representation in a case involving a drunk driver traveling at 115 mph in Albuquerque:
“I had given up hope on myself, I felt that I was on my own worried that I would be financially devastated, and physically devastated for the rest of my life. I was introduced to Mr. Parnall and The Parnall Law Firm and I was welcomed in. I felt a sense of relief that something could be done to help me out, when I felt I had no end to this. They help in ways I couldn’t even imagine that I could be helped. If you want help from folks who treat you like family, like you have known them since forever, then the Parnall Law Firm is definitely the place to go.”
Hurt? Call Bert. Contact Parnall Law Firm, LLC, today for a free, no-obligation consultation.