If you are involved in an accident that gives your neck a jolt, whether it’s a car collision or a fall, do not assume that you are uninjured, just because you do not have visible injuries. Whiplash is among the most common injuries that occur in car accidents and you may not develop symptoms until 24 to 72 hours after the accident. Even a low speed car collision can cause whiplash symptoms. If your injury was caused by someone else’s carelessness, you may have a right to seek compensation for your medical bills, lost income and other expenses.
Attorney Bert Parnall and the legal team at Parnall Law understand how a whiplash injury can cause serious pain and disrupt your life and ability to work. Based in Albuquerque, Parnall Law is ready to help whether your whiplash injury was caused by a car accident, fall, truck accident or other type of accident. Our determined attorneys take pride in providing clients with smart, compassionate and aggressive legal representation. We will seek maximum compensation to help you recover from your injuries, pay your medical bills and move forward.
Parnall Law is dedicated to the highest standard of client service. If you are not completely satisfied with the way we treat you and handle your case during the first 30 days after hiring our firm, then you may take your file with no attorney fees and absolutely no questions asked. That is our client satisfaction guarantee.
What is Whiplash?
Whiplash is an injury caused by extreme stress on the neck, due to rapid forward and backward movement. Whiplash is a common injury in Albuquerque car accidents, especially in rear end collisions. Doctors describe the injury as cervical acceleration-deceleration syndrome or a neck sprain.
If a driver or passenger’s head is thrown forcefully forward and backward, the rapid motion can cause the ligaments, tendons and other soft tissues of the neck to extend beyond their normal range of motion, spraining or straining them and causing damage.
An individual who hyperextends his or her neck in a car crash or other type of accident will typically feel neck pain, stiffness and other symptoms within 24 to 72 hours of the accident. While most cases of whiplash resolve within three months, some people are left with chronic pain from the injury.
What are the Symptoms of Whiplash After Car Accident?
The symptoms may include:
- Neck stiffness
- Loss of range of motion
- More severe pain with any neck movement
- Numbness in arms
Whiplash can be very painful and make any physical activity difficult until the injury heals. You may be unable to work and need bed rest.
Other Neck Injuries from Car Accidents
Whiplash is the most common type of neck injury in motor vehicle accidents and accounts for a significant portion of insurance claims. In addition to motor vehicle accidents, serious neck injuries can be caused by falls, violent assaults and sports injuries such as contact sports and diving accidents.
- Herniated Disc—A car crash can cause pressure on the rubbery discs that function as shock absorbers between the vertebrae, leading to a herniated disc. Herniated discs may occur anywhere on the spine and often irritate spinal nerves. An accident victim who sustained a herniated disc in the neck area may feel shooting pain, tingling, or weakness in the shoulders and arms. Herniated discs also may be caused by degenerative conditions associated with aging and wear and tear on the neck.A patient may need to undergo neck surgery to remove all or part of the herniated disc if non-surgical methods do not resolve the injury. After the herniated disc is removed, the two vertebrae on either side may be fused together.
- Cervical Dislocation–A dislocation occurs when a neck bone moves out of normal position. It may cause damage to the spinal cord and require surgery. Dislocations may also involve fractures.
- Neck fracture—A break in a cervical bone can be caused by trauma or degenerative changes in the spine. Compression fractures involving trauma may occur when a person strikes his or her head on the windshield in a car crash.
- Spinal Cord injury—A forceful impact to the cervical spine such as a car accident can cause fragment of the vertebrae to press against the spinal cord. This can cause paralysis or death, depending on the location of the injury.
- Concussion—The sudden, forceful movement of the head during a car crash may cause a concussion. Symptoms of a concussion include blurry vision, headache, nausea, loss of memory, changes in mood, and changes in sleep patterns. Symptoms of a concussion may appear days or weeks after the injury.
What compensation do you get for whiplash?
Whiplash is the most frequently reported injury in insurance claims, according to the Insurance Information Institute for Highway Safety. Whiplash claims account for about a fourth of total payouts for crash injuries.
By filing a whiplash injury lawsuit, an accident victim may be entitled to seek compensation for a variety of costs related to a neck injury caused by another’s carelessness or negligence. The types of whiplash compensation include:
- Medical expenses such as hospitalization, surgery, physical therapy
- Future medical expenses if the injury will require ongoing treatment
- Loss of income for missed work
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Pain and suffering.
Each injury varies in severity and in its effect on the accident victim’s life. Our whiplash injury attorneys are ready to evaluate the details of your injury and discuss your legal options and the types of compensation you may seek if you have been in an accident in Albuquerque or Central New Mexico. Our attorneys offer a free case review of your injury. If Parnall Law represents you in an injury claim, we will handle your case on a contingency fee basis. You will not owe us any legal fee unless we obtain compensation for you through a settlement or a jury award.
Speak to a whiplash injury lawyer at Parnall Law about your legal options for seeking compensation.
How much will I get if I win my whiplash injury claim?
Whiplash injury settlement amounts depend on the severity of the injury, the amount of medical expenses incurred and the insurance policies available to make whiplash compensation payouts. Every case has factors that affect the value of the claim.
It is in your best interest after an accident to visit a hospital for treatment of your injury. Inform the doctor that you were recently involved in an accident and tell the doctor what occurred.
Do I need a lawyer for whiplash?
If your doctor concludes that you are suffering from a whiplash injury, keep copies of your medical records in a safe location. Keep records of medications, follow-up visits to the doctor or therapist.
The next step you should take is to have an experienced personal injury attorney review your records and determine whether you have a valid whiplash injury claim.
Most rear-end accidents are caused by negligence on the part of the driver who hits another car from behind. The police may find upon investigation that the other driver was following too closely, drunk, distracted or that other factors were involved.
Insurance companies often try to minimize the extent of an accident victim’s injuries to reduce any whiplash compensation payouts.
To give yourself the best chance of receiving full compensation for your whiplash injury, you need to work with a serious injury lawyer in Albuquerque who has experience in this area of law. Albuquerque’s car accident lawyers at Parnall Law can help you seek the compensation you need to recover.
Our lawyers are skilled negotiators and are successful in reaching settlements in most whiplash injury cases we handle. A whiplash lawsuit settlement allows you to receive compensation more quickly without the uncertain outcome of a trial. If the insurance company refuses to agree to a fair settlement, our attorneys will be prepared to go to trial if necessary.
Consult a Whiplash Accident Lawyer in Albuquerque
At Parnall Law Firm, LLC, our whiplash injury attorneys aggressively represent accident victims in Albuquerque and throughout Central New Mexico. Our experienced injury attorneys have helped individuals recover whiplash injury payouts since 1997.
Call for a free consultation today. Our knowledgeable attorneys will review the details of your accident and explain whether you have a valid whiplash insurance claim. If you do, Parnall Law will offer to represent you on a contingency fee basis. You will not owe any legal fee unless our law firm obtains a whiplash injury settlement or jury award for you. Parnall Law is dedicated to client service and satisfaction. Call us for reach us by completing our online contact form. If you are hurt, call Bert!