According to AAA, nearly 50 million Americans travel by car for Thanksgiving. Having all these extra vehicles on the road increases the risk of crashes that can lead to life-altering injuries. Below is some vital information to help you stay safe on the roads this holiday season.
Thanksgiving Traffic Accident Statistics
According to the National Safety Council (NSC), around 500 people are expected to die in car accidents over this year’s four-day Thanksgiving holiday period. The NSC further estimates that in recent years at least 50,000 people suffered injuries requiring medical attention in auto crashes over Thanksgiving.
How to Avoid a Thanksgiving Traffic Accident
You can reduce your risk of getting into a motor vehicle accident this Thanksgiving by following these safety tips:
- Practice defensive driving.
- Follow traffic laws and speed limits.
- Avoid distracted driving behaviors, such as using your cell phone.
- Leave early to give yourself enough time to get to your destination.
- Check traffic and weather reports before you leave.
- Never drink and drive.
- If traveling with other drivers, consider trading driving duties so you can take breaks.
- Stop regularly to stretch, get fresh air, and have water or food.
What Should You Do If You Get into an Accident This Holiday?
If you do find yourself in an accident this Thanksgiving, you can take the following steps to protect yourself and build a strong claim for compensation:
- Report the accident to authorities.
- Take photos and videos of the accident scene.
- Gather insurance information from the other driver(s). Collect contact information from any eyewitnesses.
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible to document any injuries you suffered in the accident.
- Follow your doctor’s treatment plan.
- Keep copies of bills and invoices for medical care and vehicle repairs.
- Gather your income records if you miss work time while recovering from injuries.
- Finally, talk to a New Mexico car accident lawyer as soon as possible to start preparing and pursuing your compensation claim.
Why Contacting a Lawyer Is Important After a Thanksgiving Traffic Accident
Contacting a car accident lawyer can help protect your legal options after a Thanksgiving motor vehicle crash because they can:
- Investigate the accident to recover evidence needed to build your compensation claim
- Advise you of your legal rights to pursue financial recovery for your losses
- Document your injuries and losses, including future expenses and losses
- Handle communications with the insurance companies so you can focus on your treatment
- Hire accident reconstruction experts and medical, vocational, or financial experts to provide persuasive testimony to bolster your case
- Negotiate on your behalf for a settlement or file a lawsuit to recover the compensation you deserve
- Take your case to trial in pursuit of the full and fair recovery you’re entitled to
Contact Our Albuquerque Personal Injury Lawyer for Help After a Thanksgiving Road Accident
Hurt? Call Bert. Parnall Law has advocated for the rights of accident victims in Albuquerque and Central New Mexico since 1997. Reach out to us today for a free, no-obligation consultation to discuss your legal options with an experienced, dedicated New Mexico car accident lawyer.