Most of us know that getting behind the wheel after drinking alcohol can have fatal consequences, but far too many New Mexico drivers choose to do so anyway. New Mexico has the highest alcohol-related death rate in the U.S., according to the New Mexico Department of Health. In fact, one in five deaths of working-age adults is attributable to alcohol. The state’s death rate involving alcohol in one recent year was more than twice the national rate. Five people die every day in Nex Mexico because of alcohol. Each of these fatalities represents a preventable tragedy.
Even when a DWI accident is non-fatal, victims often experience severe injuries with life-changing, costly implications. If you or someone you love has been hurt in a DWI accident in New Mexico, you could be eligible to seek compensation through an injury claim. Contact Parnall Law to learn more about liquor laws in Albuquerque or for a free initial case review with a DWI injury lawyer.
The Problem with DWIs in New Mexico
Alcohol-related crashes are a huge problem throughout the United States. They are an even bigger problem in New Mexico. Albuquerque’s KRQE notes that New Mexico was the fifth deadliest state in the nation for drunk driving crashes in one recent year. The outlet also noted that the state was the sixth worst for DUI arrests. These numbers may also be on the rise in the future, as problem drinking seems to be on the rise nationally, according to NPR.
How You Can Avoid and Prevent DWIs
Anyone who drives on public roads in New Mexico should know and observe the following safety tips to avoid DWI accidents:
- If you plan to drink, be sure to travel with a designated driver who is completely sober.
- Hail a taxi or rideshare service for transportation if you’ve been drinking and did not designate a driver ahead of time.
- Drink plenty of water and make sure you eat if you plan to consume alcohol.
- Check your prescription medications and any over-the-counter drugs you are taking for possible alcohol interactions or warnings.
What to Do If You Get Hurt in a DWI Accident
If you get hurt by a drunk driver in New Mexico, you might have grounds for a personal injury claim against them. You can take the following steps to get a head start on your claim and protect your right to financial recovery:
- Call the police so they can investigate an accident. They may be able to secure blood or urine test results that show the driver was drunk which can help with your personal injury claim.
- Gather evidence from the crash scene, including photos and contact info for any witnesses.
- Go to the doctor as soon as possible to obtain treatment and a diagnosis.
- Hang on to medical records, proof of income, and other crash-related documentation.
- Watch what you say to other parties (including others involved in the crash and insurance companies) until you speak with an attorney.
- Avoid sharing any information or photos online while your claim is pending.
- Contact a knowledgeable New Mexico car accident lawyer for dependable legal advice.
Injured in a DWI accident? Parnall Law Can Help
A DWI accident can happen in the blink of an eye yet change your life forever. The team at Parnall Law encourages our fellow New Mexicans to stay safe on the road and avoid drinking and driving. If you get hurt in a DWI accident, contact our firm for a free initial consultation with an Albuquerque personal injury lawyer to learn more about your legal options.